Sunday, May 18, 2014

May 18 -- Chicken Spiedini

The 5th graders cook on Wednesday. This week is their final dinner and chicken spiedini is on the recipe. When I googled the recipe, it came up with a Paula Deen concoction with chicken, asiago, and breadcrumbs. This is rosemary and tons of olive oil.

The recipe is here and my changes are here: I cooked the chicken for six minutes each side instead of five. It was still tender, almost falling off the stick, but after 5 it didn't look done enough on the first turn. I added cilantro to the salsa. The parsley has to be real fine to make the traditional salsa, verde or rojo/tomate, but it is nice to put the chicken on your fork then stab at a bit of the seasoned leaves of parsley and cilantro.

I also did a full jalapeno for the hot salsa. I bought two for 49 cents. Is it worth buying a single jalapeno pepper?

This was also the first time I used the fresh herbs at Acme. They worked but man are those things expensive.

I made enough to share this one. A 2 1/2 pound bag of chicken gave me a dozen full skewers. I did a double batch of salsa. I think I will un-skewer the meat and put it in the container with a bit of salsa for the lunch portions. A skewer and a half should be enough for each day. I had three skewers for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment