Sunday, May 25, 2014

May 25 -- Tomato Salad

Quick and easy for the first weekend of 'summer' plus I am taking this weekend off from heavy cooking. There is no lunch needed on Monday, so that means only two days of lunches for the week. I'm going with Foreman grill burgers tomorrow, I may try stuffing them with cheese and spices. I will make two extra for lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday. I also bought potato rolls for the burgers. Tonight is spaghetti with jarred marinara sauce. I will look in the freezer to see what kind of protein can be thrown on top., quick and easy.

I still need to give you something to use though because you are counting on me. This week is tomato salad, my go to for a summer backyard affair that is versatile.

1 container (12 oz.) grape tomatoes
1 large bocconcini (mozzarella)
1 tbsp. olive oil
basil and pepper to taste

Cut the grape tomatoes in half. Slice up the bocconcini into pieces the same size as the grape tomatoes. Drizzle olive oil and throw on some basil and crushed black pepper. Put it in a container and shake so everything is drizzled. Takes about 15 minutes to cut everything.

This reminds me of my grandparents and their six tomato plants in the yard that were always planted around Memorial Day and would start producing tomatoes around July 4. You can't find that flavor anymore in the store-bought food.

No comments:

Post a Comment