Sunday, April 13, 2014

April 13 -- Arroz con Pollo

Arroz con pollo, rice with chicken, is the quintessential Caribbean dish. Cheap ingredients and filling, it is a staple for many of the students where I work but make it myself? That would mean going into the Goya aisle at the market.

I made a lot of mistakes today but the dish still came out terrific, if not a bit salty. I think the rice (Goya brand arroz amarillo) was already seasoned with sazon and then I added a package of sazon with saffron adding to the sazon. Plus it called for the chicken to come off the heat when you cook down the rice and the peppers then coat the rice. I left the chicken in the pot but it was still amazingly, don't-need-a-knife, tender. I cut down on the chicken because I didn't have 3 1/2 pounds on hand and I'd be eating the stuff forever if I did.

Yield was dinner for me plus two lunches or dinners for the week.

I used this recipe minus the pimentos, peas, and alcaparrado. This is totally tasty and there is no heat that us gringos fear with anything that comes from south of Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment